U.S. and Canada: (800) 341-4341
Outside the U.S.: Access Code + (207) 552-3028
Mail: L.L.Bean, Dept. CFM. 15 Casco St., Freeport, ME 04033
To help us personalize and improve your L.L.Bean experience, we collect certain information when you connect with us, including when you:
- Place an order
- Return or exchange products
- Visit our website
- Create an account on our website
- Shop at our stores, outlets and kiosks
- Sign up for events and experiences
- Subscribe to L.L.Bean promotional emails
- Apply for a job
- Participate in an Outdoor Discovery Program
- Enter a sweepstakes or contest
- Join our mailing list
- Take a survey
- Contact customer service.
Information you choose to provide may include:
- Mailing and/or street address
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Payment information
- Date of birth
- Photos or videos (please see our Content Submission Terms and Conditions for details)
- Information about gift recipients (if sending an order to someone other than yourself)
- Your correspondence if you contact us.
When you visit our website, we automatically receive certain information from cookies and pixel tags, including:
- Internet protocol (IP) address
- Browsing history
- Purchase history
- Device information, such as location.
For more information, please see the Cookies and Pixel Tags section.
For security purposes, we may also obtain information using video cameras for surveillance.
Additionally, we combine the details you share and the details we receive when you visit us online with data that is made available by third-parties. Those third-party sources include: L.L.Bean’s credit card issuer, data brokers, and service providers.
For E.U. Residents Only: We will only collect additional information via cookies and other online tools if you agree to its collection, and sharing this information requires your consent.
It’s necessary for us to collect certain information to allow you to complete transactions and enjoy many L.L.Bean features and services including:
- Order status updates & tracking
- Submitting comments and questions
- Reserving products at a store
- Writing product reviews
- Saving your purchase history
- Returning or exchanging products & tracking your return package
- Receiving information about products you’ve purchased (for example, in the case of a recall)
- Registering for an Outdoor Discovery Program
- Signing up for an event or other experience
- Managing your online account (such as saving your wish list)
- Receiving catalogs, promotional emails, and notifications of upcoming events
- Viewing advertisements that may be of interest to you
- Receiving L.L.Bean® Mastercard® offers
We also use this information to continually improve your experiences, from making our website easier to use to enhancing our products and customer service.
Some of our services require us to share your information with other companies, who we partner with closely to ensure your privacy stays protected. These services include:
- Name and address verification
- Email distribution
- Processing returns and exchanges
- Surveys & market research
- Advertising & promotions
- Fraud protection & investigation
- Event and other experience plannng, including registration for an Outdoor Discovery Program
- Managing and promoting the L.L.Bean® Mastercard®
- Advertising on third party platforms (which may combine the information we share with information already in their possession. These third parties have privacy policies of their own that apply to your use of their platforms and may offer you choices about which ads you see..
- Partnering with third-party vendors such as Google Analytics to understand what content, experiences, and promotions are most relevant to you. To learn about how Google Analytics collects and processes data, click here.
- Sharing your information with other companies, via cooperative database, whose products or services may be of interest to you. Pursuant to the California Shine the Light law, if you do not want your personal information shared with other companies for marketing purposes, you may opt-out by contacting us.
There are other rare occasions when we may be required to share specific information:
- Upon the government’s request, in response to a court order, when we have a good faith belief that we are required to do so by law, or where otherwise permitted by law.
- In connection with any merger, financing, acquisition, or dissolution transaction or proceeding involving sale, transfer, divestiture, or disclosure of all or a portion of our company or assets. If another company acquires our company or assets, that company may possess the personal information collected by us and will assume the consents and responsibilities regarding your personal information.
We gather information about how visitors navigate and use our website to deliver more personalized experiences, using "cookies" and other tools such as "pixels tags."
A cookie is a small data file stored by your web browser on your computer. Session cookies are erased when you close the web browser or browser tab. Persistent cookies remain on your computer's storage until they expire or are deleted.
Some cookies are necessary for our website to work properly and enable you to place an item in your online shopping bag and to place an order on our web site. Other cookies allow us to enhance and personalize your online shopping experience.
Here are some examples of what cookies allow us to do:
- Remember what items are in your shopping bag
- Recognize you when you return to our website
- Enable faster checkout if you have created an account at llbean.com
- Understand how you reach our website and which products you’re looking for
- Learn whether you opened an email from L.L.Bean
- Deliver personalized marketing from L.L.Bean
- Apply the preferences you’ve chosen.
If you set your browser to refuse all cookies, please contact us directly to place your order.
We use pixel tags – a short snippet of code – to tell us how you use our website and help us share the products and content you’re most interested in. Pixel tags also enable us to send you email in a format you can read and let us know when you have opened an email message from us.
We also contract with other companies to publish L.L.Bean ads across the internet. These companies collect information about your visits to our website and share advertisements for products you’re most likely to be interested in. These targeted advertisements may appear on other sites that you visit. This information is collected using a cookie or pixel tag – technology used by most websites.
For E.U. Residents Only: If you are a European Union resident, we only use non-essential cookies and pixel tags (ex. to enhance and personalized your experience) when you opt-in to allow for their use. However, some essential cookies are necessary for our website to function properly and will remain in use even if you do not opt-in to our use of non-essential cookies.
Whenever possible, we are happy to honor changes or preferences you may have regarding your information including:
Updating Your Information: You can update your name, address, telephone number, or email address through My Account or by contacting us. To protect your privacy, we will confirm your identity before updating or reviewing your information.
L.L.Bean Catalogs: You may change your catalog preferences through My Account or by contacting us. Because catalogs are planned in advance, you may still receive mailings while we process your request.
L.L.Bean Emails: You may unsubscribe from our promotional emails using the link provided at the bottom of each email, through My Account, or by contacting us. Because emails are planned in advance, you may still receive mailings while we process your request. To serve you best, you’ll continue to receive important emails about recent transactions, including orders and returns, even if you choose not to receive promotional emails.
Personalized Advertising: To opt-out of direct online personalized advertising from L.L.Bean, click here. If you choose to opt-out, you may still see advertisements on the internet from L.L.Bean that are not related to your personal information.
We’re committed to protecting the rights of children. Our website is not intended for use by children, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 16. If you believe that a child younger than 16 has provided personal information to us, please contact us so we can help.
Occasionally we link to other websites and services, including for example nonprofits that we support or enabling you to save your True Fit account.. These sites have their own privacy and security policies. If you choose to navigate to another website through our links or input your personal information through these service offerings, we encourage you to review their policies.
We care greatly about the security of your information and are committed to protecting it against loss, misuse, or unauthorized access. We do this using a variety of the best Information Security technologies and processes. For example, we use encryption or hashing when receiving or transmitting your information. Read more about our security practices.
We also encourage you to practice general internet safety guidelines, such as choosing a strong password for your llbean.com account, changing your password frequently, and signing out of your account when you are finished. Please note that L.L.Bean will never ask for your password or credit card information over email.
For EU and California Residents Only: If our practices change, we will notify you and, if necessary, obtain consent.
If you are resident of Canada and you would like to take advantage of any of your rights under the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) please contact us.
- If you are a resident of the European Union, shop via our international website at global.llbean.com.
- We will only collect your information from non-essential cookies with your consent.
- We will only use the information you provide to us (ex. details you share when placing an order) for marketing purposes with your consent.
- If you wish to take advantage of any of your rights related to the European Union Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), such as the Right to Erasure (otherwise known as the "Right to be Forgotten"), please contact us directly and we will be happy to assist you.
- If you feel we haven’t appropriately responded to your request related to the GDPR, please contact our Data Protection Officer: Michael K. Mahoney, Attn: DPO, 15 Casco Street, Freeport, ME 04033 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (the CCPA) provides consumers who are California residents with specific rights regarding their personal information.
You have the right to opt-out of L.L.Bean’s sale of your personal information.
You have the right to request deletion of the personal information collected or maintained by L.L.Bean. Please note that deleting your information will remove your purchase history from our records and we’ll be unable provide you with a record of your purchases.
You have the right to request that L.L.Bean disclose what personal information we collect, use, disclose, and sell (does not apply if requested more than twice in a 12-month period), including:
- Categories of personal information we collected about you during the preceding 12 months.
- Categories of sources from which we collected the personal information during the preceding 12 months.
- Business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling your personal information during the preceding 12 months.
- Categories of third parties with whom we share the personal information during the preceding 12 months.
- Specific pieces of personal information we collected about you during the preceding 12 months.
In order to protect your information from unauthorized deletion or disclosure, we will verify your request using three pieces of Personal Information that can be verified against data previously collected from you and in our systems.
- Only you, or someone legally authorized to act on your behalf (your designated authorized agent), may make a verifiable consumer request related to your Personal Information. Please note that any third-party agent services are required to be registered in the state of California in order to act on your behalf.
- We will request your name, mailing address, and email address from you in order to complete the verification process. We will also request some additional information, such as: last four digits of your credit card, last item ordered, date of last order, total dollar charge of last order, last item you returned, name of person you have shipped to in the past, or a monogram you have placed on a recent order.
- When it is not possible to match three pieces of Personal Information, we may engage a third-party verification service to avoid fraudulent or malicious intent.
- We will only use personal information provided to us for this purpose to verify your identity or authority to make the request.
- When we are not able to verify your request, we must deny the request, but will communicate the reason for such denial to you.
- We collect the following categories of personal information: Identifiers; personal information listed in the CA Customer Records statute (such as payment information), characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law; commercial information; professional or employment information; internet or other electronic network activity information; geolocation data; audio, electronic, or visual information; sensory data, such as audio and visual recordings; inferences drawn from other personal information, such as: your preferences and behaviors.
- We disclose the following categories of personal information for a business purpose: Identifiers; personal information listed in the CA Customer Records statute (such as payment information); characteristics of protected classifications under the California or federal law; commercial information; internet of other electronic network activity information; geolocation data; inferences drawn from other personal information, such as: your preferences and behaviors.
- We disclose personal information for a business purpose to the following categories of Service Providers: Shipping companies, shipment processing companies, reistratioin platforms,printing companies, event planners and operators, data brokers, technology companies, cloud service providers, analytics companies, fraud protection and investigation companies, payment processors, credit card issuer, media companies/platforms.
- Per the CCPA’s definition of sell, we sell the following categories of personal information in order to deliver a more personalized experience and to show you products that we think you’ll be interested in: Identifiers; commercial information; Internet or other electronic network activity; geolocation data.
- Per the CCPA’s definition of sell, we sell personal information to the following categories of vendors: Data brokers, credit card issuer, and media companies/platforms.
If you’d like to make a Right to Know request, Email: email@example.com or contact us at 1-800-979-4288.
We will confirm receipt of your request within 10 days.
We will respond to a verifiable consumer request within forty-five (45) days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to an additional 45 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing. We will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. You may make a Right to Know request up to twice in a 12-month period. We will deliver our written response by mail or secure email.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your Right to Know request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
If you’d like to make a Right to Delete request, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us at 1-800-979-4288.
You have the right to request deletion of your Personal Information that we collected or maintain, subject to certain exceptions.
Impacts of deletion include:
- Your purchase history will no longer be accessible
- We will not be able to look up your transactions for returns, previous gifts, or repairs
- You will be required to provide a receipt for any future returns
- You will no longer have access to your L.L.Bean account at llbean.com
Please note, we will continue to maintain limited information needed to comply with product recalls, fraud prevention, and other legal and business requirements.
We do have alternatives if you are unsure if deleting your personal information is the best option for you. Please feel free to contact us at email@example.com or call (800) 341-4341 to inquire about the following:
- Removal from our catalog mailing list
- Unsubscribing from or limiting emails
In order to delete your information, the following steps are required by the law:
- You submit a request to delete, and
- We will separately confirm with you that you want your information deleted.
If we are unable to verify a Request for Delete, your request will be treated as a request to Opt-Out of the sale of your personal information, and we will notify you.
Once we receive and confirm your deletion request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records, within 45 days, unless an exception applies.
If you’d like to make a Do Not Sell request, contact us at 1-800-979-4288 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
You have the right to direct us to not sell your personal information at any time (the "right to opt-out").
We will process your Opt-Out request within 15 days and will notify third parties of your request.
L.L.Bean may deny a request, if it is deemed fraudulent.
You may change your mind and opt back into personal information sales at any time by contacting us.
You do not need to create an account with us to exercise your opt-out rights. We will only use personal information provided in an opt-out request to review and comply with the request.